THOMAS KAREITHI GACHIE
About Thomas Kareithi Gachie
A Strategic Operational Excellence professional with over twenty (20) years of experience with excellent and in-depth leadership/ management exposure for 19 years at Financial Services Sector.
I am an expert in Project Management and institutional transformational programmes and projects for various organizations in Kenya and across other countries (Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Cote D’Ivoire, Sierra Leone and Gambia). Excellent expertise in delivery of exceptional customer experience, management of high performance project teams and leveraging on technology and innovation to drive competitive operations.
2001 – 2005
1990 - 1995
Group Chief Operations Officer
Resolution Insurance, 2017 to-date
Duties and Responsibilities
Conceptualizing strategic initiatives to propel the achievement of corporate goals, streamline operations, and maximize staff performance; directing human resources, performance management, multi-billion budget administration, and staff mentoring and leadership.
Ensuring consistent improvements in organizational profitability, efficiency, and performance through effective problem solving, organization, and interpersonal abilities;
Leading teams to achieve great results by creating a high performance culture with a low entropy score;
Ensuring compliance to governing laws, regulatory guidelines, company policies and procedures and leading best practices and standards;
Driving Operational Excellence and Operational Efficiencies by leveraging on Technology;
Ensuring projects and programmes deliver high Return on Investments by focusing on Results Based Management;
Empowering staff to drive the innovations and service performance to enhance Customer Service delivery levels and standards.
- Reduction in OPEX by 26% through digitization and centralization of shared operations.
- Reduction in Claims cost by eliminating fraud and waste by 20% through digital supply chain optimization.
- Increased market shares from 5% to 10% in 2 years by driving sales, marketing and customer interactions through lean operational excellence and use of digital platforms.
Director of Operations
National Bank of Kenya, 2012 – 2017
- Provide overall leadership in formulation of strategies, operational plans, policies and procedures for the Operations Division and oversee operational excellence in the Bank
- Establish and review key operational risk indicators/key control standards and formulate action plans to minimize the Bank’s exposure to fraud and losses.
- Provide leadership multidisciplinary team in Innovation, Business Process Management (BMP), Project Management Office (PMO) and Back Office Operations
- Manage the Bank’s operational risk exposure by supporting the Business to identify areas of operational risk exposure and develop and implement corrective action.
- Champion the re-engineering business processes agenda to improve customer service, cost effectiveness and controls.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements relating to Banking Operations.
- Oversee implementation of operational improvements to reduce operational costs, tighten controls, improve service quality and customer service.
- Ensure the bank leverages on Technology & Innovations by building an efficient processing system through centralization, automation and innovation.
- Reduced operational cost by 46% through centralizing all back-office operations
- Leaned out processes leading to a reduced staff from initial 2200 to 1400 yet despite branches increased from 52 to 84. This led to increased productivity per staff
- Won Global Award for excellence in BPM & Workflows.
Project Manager – Africa Finance Systems & Processes
Standard Chartered Bank, 2007 – 2012
Duties & Responsibilities
- Evaluate, design, implement, test and deliver appropriate reporting solutions within bank’s finance system and business context
- Initiate and drive continuous improvement in financial reporting and associated systems, processes and policies.
- Manage multidisciplinary team of professionals, technical personnel and operational staff in 14 countries (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Cote D’Ivoire, Sierra Leone & Gambia) with team of programmers based in Chennai, India.
- Rolled out systems using pragmatic project management methodologies which contributed to an average of 35% cost saving on Project Rollouts.
- Reduced report production to 48 hours with 15 staff from initial Turn-around-time of 10 working days with staff through centralized all Financial & Regulatory reporting to Shared Service Centre
- Reduced cost of Procurement by 25% and improved controls around procurement and Accounts Payable which eliminated payment of either duplicated invoices or double invoices. Benefits KES 45Million annual saving.
Head of ICT
Madison Insurance Company, 2005 – 2007
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership and technical support in ICT and acting as internal ICT Consultant to management by advising of all likelihood in ICT matters, their implications and impact to business
- Assess the quality and reliability of existing hardware, software, operating systems and network components and recommend upgrades or replacements.
- Project planning, implementation and management of an Integrated ERP System – Oracle Financials based on Internet web portals, efficient communication WAN supporting VOIP and intranet services based on VSAT technology.
- Design and implementation of a corporate DRP and BCP strategy.
- Design and implementation/operationalization of a corporate IS service policy and IS security policy based on COBIT, ITIL models
Finance IS Manager SSC Eastern & Southern Africa
Standard Chartered Bank, 2002 – 2005
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support and maintenance of Financial and Management of IDS with required security and controls for SCB Eastern & Southern Africa Countries.
- Assessing the efficiency and adequacy of business systems and processes to realize overall business & financial objectives.
- Reviewing, documenting, evaluating and testing general controls in Finance systems and processes.
- Reengineering & implementing process and application security and controls (BCP & DRP) for SCB Eastern & Southern Africa Countries.
- Systems Analyst, Cooperative Bank of Kenya, 2000 – 2002
- Senior Consultant, Iberafrica Systems, 1998 – 2000